Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Colour Frustrations

I am wondering if I am the only stamper out there frustrated when it comes to layering colours. I know the colour wheel and I understand colour schemes, primary, secondary, tertiary etc, but I really struggle with the various shades within that. What I mean is, for example, I know purple and yellow can look really good together, but I also know that some purples look awful with some yellows and I find picking what does and doesn't work very, very difficult. I wish I could say I was colourblind - that would be a good excuse - but I'm not. I just don't have a feel for colour. And it gets even worse when I have something like the shining stones backgrounds below - multiple colours to layer. I normally resort to the good, old trusty gold, black or white but I would like to be able to look at a multi coloured background and pick just one colour out of it and be able to find a matching layer. Anyone else feel this way?

3 comments:

Hope said...

I too share your frustration with colors. Often times I find when I layer them, I end up with "mud" or something that looks just plain ugly. However, I've found that if I just keep playing- adding a color or "rescuing" it with gold or another shade or two of the colors I've already used, I often get pleasant results. I'm also surprised when I look at someone else's artwork and they've put together colors that I never would have put together and they look fabulous. Perhaps it's just luck sometimes! Keep playing- we're bound to end up with something good!
I really like how you made the first page of your background noise journal. Mine is blank too... and staring at me (don't worry- you're not the only anal one...hahaha.) I'm not much of a doodler, so I'll have to figure out something eventually. :)

The blog is looking good! Fun, isn't it?

Hope

Rosie said...

I'm not good at layering either... I'm afraid I'm overly keen on contrast!! Your doodling is amazing!
Rosie (NGS)

Jen xo said...

hey it is nice to meet another aussie , ive popped over from owoh.. thanks for leaving such a lovely comment....as to the color wheel there are warm and cold colors , you need to put a warm[red based not blue] purple with a warm yellow and cold with cold. also instead of darkening with black , darken with a red , green or blue but make sure it matches with the cold/warm color...hth Jenxo